Forget about men; the church cannot do without women, Period!

By Charles Muchiri

Recently, I watched a wedding video of a great friend of mine, and a fellow member of my Small Christian Community.

Though I was Emceeing this wedding that happed at the sunset of year 2010, I quickly leant that the stars of this function were the women! The church women who turned up early in the morning to sing their voice-boxes out  - in conformity with the African tradition – in order to be allowed into the compound of the bride and subsequently in order to be allowed to take the bride with them, for the wedding ceremony!

The same day late into the afternoon, these same squad of energized women were at hand to welcome the just married couple into the reception arena.

Talk of energy, talk of liveliness, talk of relevance! Apart from a few men drivers and perhaps the transport manager, men don’t turn up early in the morning to pick the bride from her matrimonial home, women do.

Men don’t lose their voices while trying to negotiate for the bride to be handed over for wedding ceremonies, women do.

Indeed, there is no snatching this one; that the church without women could as well be no church at all!

Take my Small Christian Community (SCC) for example, St Charles Lwanga of St Maurus Catholic Church - St Benedicts’ Parish Nairobi. I have been the chairman of this SCC for the last 4 years and I can say this with utmost authority, the women members are the engine that propels my SCC, anytime!

It is the women members who form the greater percentage of the community, and it is them who automatically take up most of the activities, including prayers, ushering, charity visits, mention it!

They are always there, dwarfing the small percentage of men present at any given time. And their say form the biggest portion of the SCC’s agenda.

As a man, and as a leader of this small outfit in the church, I only know far much too well that I cannot do much, without women around me, serving the body of Christ.
(Follow the author at: http://twitter.com/Muchirimuchoki)

Comments