An Act of Spiritual Communion one too many!

By Charles Muchiri



For Roman Catholics, going to church is about partaking in two major liturgical celebrations: The liturgy of the word and the liturgy of the Holy Eucharist.

The latter, the liturgy of the Holy Eucharist is indeed the hallmark of the Roman Catholic worship. It is the center piece of Holy Mass.

So, going to church and not fully participating in the Eucharistic celebration, especially receiving the Body and Blood of Christ just feels odd, especially for the committed Christians.

But if you are a committed Christian and you aren’t in the right disposition to receive; not to worry! The Church, in her wisdom, has continued to teach us on one beautiful prayer that is known as the Act of Spiritual Communion.

This is only a short prayer with a very few words – 68 words to be exact. Anybody can cram it and especially when said with utmost sincerity, one not only embraces Christ, but Christ really embraces the Christian reciting it!

I have recited it many times over…you probably have outdone me on it; it goes like this… My Jesus, I believe that You are present in the Most Holy Sacrament. I love You above all things, and I desire to receive You into my soul. Since I cannot at this moment receive You sacramentaly, come at least spiritually into my heart.  I embrace You as if You were already there and unite myself wholly to You.  Never permit me to be separated from You.  Amen.

Once again, I love this prayer, especially the “...I embrace you as if You were already there and unite myself wholly to You,” it’s lovely to tell God something like that...!

All I feel though is that it is much easy for some of us, the Christians, to abuse it! Yes! That’s my point, especially if someone crams it and decides to make it a trend. “I do not need to receive physically, I can as well make an act of spiritual communion!” someone say.

One act of spiritual communion this Sunday, another act of spiritual communion the next Sunday, and another…and another…and pap! A tread is formed. A tread that might be hard to break: The tread of a Christian who is an expert on spiritual communion.

Bottom line; however good this prayer sounds; however good the intention of the Church was to introduce this prayer, too much fall-back to the prayer may develop a complacency that might push you further and further from the actual receiving of the Body and Blood of Christ.

(Follow the author on twitter @Muchirimuchoki)

Comments