Church Leadership: Seeking divine dependence



By Charles Muchiri

Charles Muchiri
Seven years. That is the exact period that I have served as chairman of my Small Christian Community. That was until sometime at the beginning of this year when my term of office - two consecutive terms of office - expired.

Of course nothing gives me more joy than serving Christ. And serving Him through my Small Christian Community, St Charles Lwanga, named after one of the youthful martyrs of Uganda, is so a tremendous experience that I can’t explain it in words.

My SCC has about 50 active families. Church officials keep pointing out that about 10 families are already enough for an SCC. But then again, this is St Maurus Church, and there are many other SCCs that have higher numbers than even ours. But then again that’s not reason enough.

In fact, I have always dreaded the thought of having our SCC split into two. As a close-knit family, we have grown so fond of each other, that such a separation would be an enough psychological torment.

The opportunity to serve this ecclesial community as an elected chairman and being re-elected to the same position about three years later was to me a sign of the confidence that members of this SCC have on my person.

In spite of my being a youthful and single man, I found myself at a position of steering a group whose main composition was persons who are much older than me.

That, to me, was a call to be an even more responsible person everyday as I served these children of God.

One of the most outstanding lessons that I have learnt throughout my leadership is that there are two ways to serve: You can either opt to lean on your own human understanding; your own strengths; your own flesh; your own earthly knowledge.

Or you can opt to make the words of Zechariah 4:6 your pillar. “Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit, says the Lord Almighty.”

If and when you choose to follow this latter option, you have decided to walk along the road of Divine Dependence. Yeah. That’s what I call it – Divine Dependence.

It is the road that only servant leaders know how to tread. But then again, it isn’t such a smooth road for those who have allowed their ego to take precedence.

This road involves serving and not waiting to be served. It is about being at the front-line, washing the church, dusting the pews, when it’s your SCC’s turn to do ushering.

It’s never about shouting orders, or assuming that the church is some form of a political outfit. It’s about keeping in mind – always – that whatever you are doing, whatever decisions you are making, are in line with what Christ would expect of you!

/For Feedback: paradisedoorstep@gmail.com/

Comments