When the ties that bind can’t hold much

By Charles Muchiri


I am writing this with much sadness in my heart. I am sad because I believe in love, I believe in marriage, I believe in Holy Matrimony and I believe that there is nothing that is more supreme than God’s Graces in whatever Sacrament that a Christian receives; be it Baptism or in this case, Holy Matrimony.

I am sad because of the many misunderstandings, conflicts, fights, mistrust, and infidelity; name them - that characterize most marriages today.

I am more saddened by my close proximity with cases of couples, who though united through the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony; their married lives are beset by nothing else but strife, mistrust, infidelity.

I am even more saddened when I realize that as a human being, I do not have anything much I can do to help my friends, my relatives appreciate the Graces they received on that day that they promised each other that they will be faithful till their death.

I am saddened because I do not have a particular medical prescription that I can offer these cases; a prescription that I could administer without their consent; a prescription that would yield positive, instantaneous understanding in these families.

I am saddened because I am not so certain whether these persons are really aware of the value of the befitting way of life that they opted to adopt and to walk along, hand in hand.

Of course I am aware that the road of marriage is also characterized by more bumps that smoothness, more potholes, and a lot of unpredictable terrain. That, I am aware of.

But it is about the drivers who forget to seek help from the support-team that is always flying over their very own head, keen to give a professional hand: The assumption of the Divine hand as the ultimate solution to all these domestic conflicts is exactly what is worrying me.

I believe that God is always a little signal away from all those who have entrusted their way of lives to Him, especially through the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony.

I am conscious that although it seems, in my little human capacity, like there is nothing much I can do to make these families appreciate all these, and embrace each other into oneness, as a Christian, I can offer a silent prayer to the one who joined them, telling Him to earnestly dawn sobriety and calm into their troubled waters.

E-mail this writer: muchirimuchoki@yahoo.com

Comments